October 26, 2009

Sigma Brush Kit Update - Just my 2 cents...

So as I posted earlier last month I broke down and purchased the Sigma complete brush kit plus the SS109. The complete kit is US $89 for 12 brushes plus the brush roll. The SS109 is US $14.




Since so many Gurus have posted reviews on YouTube I have decided to not necessarily do a “review” but just more of a “how I use each one”. I have some that I use daily and others that I use time to time.

I have been using all the brushes for several weeks now and washed them several times since receiving them. The majority of the brushes shed upon first wash but nothing excessive. I must say that I love this kit as a whole. I also appreciate the fact that the brush roll is excellent quality and not cheap looking at all.




Okay, on to what and how I use…

SS109 – This has to be my favorite daily brush. I use this with my MAC Studio Fix Powder foundation and/or my MAC MSF. The key I have found is to press the powder into my skin and work with ¼ of my face at a time then buff in as a last go around. I’m able to right under my eyes and in the corners of my nose with ease. The brush gives an even medium to full coverage.




SS224 – This is a fluffy blending brush. I find this best used for blending a light wash of color into the crease and fading it out. This is also a daily must-have for me and I love it!




SS150 – Large all over powder brush. Best used for light dusting of powder all over face or as I use it for bronzer. I don’t use this everyday only because I don’t use bronzer daily.

SS187 – I have the MAC 187 and absolutely love it. Since discovering the beauty community on YT I use the 187 for liquid foundation. Since I’m not using liquid foundation daily right now I haven’t had as much use of the SS187 but have given it a try twice. The brush holds up well without any shedding. Same great airbrush effect that I get when using MACs 187.





SS219 – Pencil shadow brush. I use this fairly often but not daily since I don’t define my outer corner on my lazy days. This brush is wonderful for controlled application of powder to define the outer V and crease. I used this on my mom to who has very small eyes and not as much lid space as I do. This is great to use as a crease brush for those with smaller eyes. I also use this at all shadow under my lower lash line.

SS239 – I have the MAC 239 and this is definitely not an exact dup. The SS239 is slightly larger and I personally prefer the SS239 over MACs since I have more lid space to cover; but again I like MACs 239 for my mom’s smaller lids. Does just as great with packing on color.

SS190 – I also have MACs 190 foundation brush. There is a difference to me but very slight, barely noticeable…. The SS190 seems just slightly softer but same application results as MACs 190. I used this for tinted moisturizer since I wasn’t using liquid foundation during the summer months.

SS168 – I own MACs 168 and this is an exact dup in my opinion. Best used for blush application or highlight.

SS194 – I don’t use this daily as I prefer to apply concealer with my fingers vs. a brush.

SS275 – I use this daily for my brow highlight. Can also be use for crease but I prefer the SS224 for the crease.

SS266 – Recommended use for eyeliner or filling in brows. I personally don’t and haven’t used this for eyeliner so I use this daily for my brows.

SS252 – Another daily brush for packing shadow onto the lid.

SS209 – Sigma recommends this brush for use with eyeliner however I actually use this for lip color/glosses. I feel that the brush itself is too big for use with eyeliner unless you want that think liner look.

SS217 – Sigma included this as a free gift. It’s a travel version so the handle is not as long as the others. This brush I find it best used for all over wash of color on the lid or brow highlight.




Again, this wasn’t meant to be a full review but I for the record I absolutely recommend these brushes.  For a full review I recommend watching MakeupbyTiffanyD’s review on YT.

Other Sigma Brushes I have on my short list:
SS182 - Kabuki Brush $19
SS188 - Small Duo Fibre Brush $14
Thanks again for stopping by!  If you have any questions, please post below and I'll reply shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment